Monday, June 16, 2008

June 15--Father's Day



The first Father's Day without Corey was bittersweet. Kate's such a doll, it's hard to be sad when she's around. I did read something in the paper that upset me, though. An editorial dealing with the holiday. This excerpt in particular:


The word "father" (Latin and Greek "pater") goes back to a root meaning "protect" — the ancient Greek word for "shepherd" comes from the same root. A father's role, etymologically, is to respond to and look out for children within families. Children ask of fathers today what they have asked of them for thousands of years — that we be with them and care for them.


That's one of the hardest parts of losing Corey. Despite all the self-talk to reassure that there's nothing anyone could have done to save her, deep down I feel that I failed in that most basic duty of protecting her. And it's hard to look at Kate and tell her that she'll be safe, that you'll protect her, when you know it's not always possible.

BTW: the hat in the picture says "Superdad". Kate knows just what to get me! The hat was marked down to $3 from $5, so we *had* to get it. This morning I noticed the reciept on the counter, and for some reason, the hat actually rang up at $.08! Maybe that was Corey's contribution?

No comments: