Went to a FIVE HOUR birthing class yesterday. And believe me, it was a long 5 hours! Four of the five hours was going around the room and each couple telling "their story". I've never been to group therapy, but I imagine this was pretty similar. It got downright uncomfortable when the "single mother" in the group had to share the teary story of her soon-to-be ex-husband who dumped her when she got pregnant because his teenaged daughter from another marriage threatened to kill herself because the new baby was going to take her dad away from her. Maybe it was theraputic for her, but I certainly wouldn't want my problems exposed to a room full of strangers. What information did come out interspered with the stories was mostly limited to parents of singletons (i.e., everyone else). I don't know how many times we heard "well, this won't apply to you." The teacher wasn't very subtle in her dislike of epidurals and daycares. I know, some of you have gone the drug-free route, and I'm glad it worked out for you, but our ob/gyn has said that with twins, it's very dicey--if anything goes wrong, and they have to do an emergency C-section past a certain point in the labor, then they have to put Tessa totally under and I get kicked out of the room for the procedure. As for daycares, for some people, having a stay-at-home parent is just not a feasible financial option.
Oh, dear lord, this is turning into a rant, so I'd better stop now.
On the positive side, Tessa got to leave the house for an extended period. She's still doing well. The babies are kicking around and having a great time in there. It's really nice to be able to spend the last few weeks of her pregnancy together, even if I am having to work at home and she's stuck either in bed or in her fancy new recliner/rocker.
Five more hours of class next weekend!
Sunday, February 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment